COMMUNICATIONS AND MARKETING MANAGER
(Full-time, exempt, with benefits)
Position Overview and Goals
The Communications and Marketing Manager is a member of the Development and Marketing Department and reports to the museum’s Director of Development and Co-Directors. S/he is responsible for planning, developing and implementing strategies and tactics that help to increase visitor attendance and admissions, promote engagement and growth of all audiences and donor base. S/he is responsible for promoting the museum’s visibility and brand locally, nationally and internationally across a wide variety of platforms using up-to-date, proven methods. S/he is expected to collaborate creatively and effectively with artistic, development, education, financial, and administrative staff and the museum’s Board of Directors to collect information, plan and implement marketing and communication strategies, and manage departmental budgets. Like many organizations of its size, the Mattress Factory operates with a relatively lean administrative staff and budget. Because of this, all management staff must be able to function effectively within staff and financial budgetary constraints, are expected to be creative and entrepreneurial and make best use of existing resources.
Knowledge and Experience Required
The successful candidate will be able to demonstrate knowledge of and experience with:
• Applying strategic marketing, audience research and audience development, media relations and social media promotion principles and practices to achieve increased visibility of institution and participation by all audiences and help to ensure achievement of revenue goals;
• The visual arts, especially contemporary art;
• Contemporary art media, including print, radio/TV and on-line publications and outlets (local, national, international);
• Using direct mail (USPS) and online marketing and sales methods to achieve measurable goals;
• Developing, writing and overseeing design of effective and compelling printed and on-line marketing collateral;
• Developing, writing and maintaining accurate, compelling website content (open-source website management a plus);
• Using social media and e-marketing strategies and tactics to generate buzz and attendance;
• Developing and using relational patron databases to gather, maintain and segment visitor and donor data for marketing/cross-marketing and fundraising efforts;
• Developing effective personal outreach and marketing strategies and tactics to engage target markets and groups/associations/business to introduce them to the museum and generate attendance at exhibitions and events;
• Working with artists, curators and colleagues to gather needed information and research, prepare and distribute accurate and compelling press releases, pitch letters/email, press kits, online/social media/website content;
• Designing an overall visitor experience that helps to increase audience engagement and understanding of the museum’s exhibitions, programs, mission;
• Effective project management; managing multiple tasks to meet deadlines within a fast-paced, creative environment;
• Packaging, promoting, and fulfilling media sponsorships, including sponsorships for exhibitions, fundraising events, including the museum’s Urban Garden Party;
• Basic knowledge of budget management and cost control.
• Develop marketing plans and timelines for exhibitions, education programs, fundraising events that articulate strategy, identify target markets, and describes tactics to be used to achieve attendance and revenue goals;
• Develop and secure media sponsorships and fulfill sponsor benefits to promote positive relationships with sponsoring organizations and businesses.
• Work with the museum’s Co-Directors, Development Director and Visitor Services staff to promote a positive overall visitor experience supports artistic, attendance and revenue goals;
• Proactively research and develop an understanding of the work and process of Mattress Factory artists so that they are appropriately and successfully represented in materials and marketing and promotional activities of the museum;
• Promote the Mattress Factory’s brand (what organization does, its values, what it brings to audiences, why it’s worthy of support);
• Collaborate effectively with museum colleagues to achieve the institutions goals and promote a positive, productive work environment;
• Develop, maintain/oversee maintenance of accurate media/PR databases (press, special event/exhibition mailings);
• Recruit, provide training to and oversee interns in the marketing area.
The successful candidate will have the following personal and professional attributes:
• Is a creative, proactive, consultative, and collaborative problem-solver;
• Projects poise, equanimity, and a professional, personable demeanor that promotes an productive work environment and effectively promotes the Mattress Factory to all audiences, media and donors;
• Is flexible and comfortable with ambiguity; has a sense of humor and “glass half-full” approach;
• Enjoys personal interaction with individuals from a broad range of backgrounds and is able to use good social skills to effectively promote the museum;
• Is a self-starter;
• Is able to multi-task, switch gears and achieve goals in a fast-paced, changing environment;
• Respects and works effectively with individuals (artistic, administrative, audiences) from diverse backgrounds and points-of-view;
Applicants must have a minimum of a B.A. in English, English Writing, Arts Management or Marketing/Business and a minimum of three (3) years in arts marketing or relevant positions with increasing responsibility and demonstrable results.
Mattress Factory is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Send cover letter and resume to: jobs[at]mattress.org
Please include the words "Marketing Manager" in the subject line of the email.
No calls, please.